Saturday, March 9, 2013

College Tours

It seems like whenever I run into any of my friends who also have juniors in high school, within five minutes, the talk turns to college.  Now that Lauren is past the halfway point of her junior year, it was about time to get some college tours set up.  I have several friends that have kids in college already and my stepson has gone through college and graduate school, so I have some idea what it's like having a kid heading to college.  Lauren wants to visit two colleges over the upcoming spring break.  Getting the tours scheduled was pretty easy - it was completely done on-line. Yesterday, I bumped into a friend of mine at the grocery store who has a son that is also a junior.  Of course, within less than five minutes we were talking about colleges :) I got the impression that her son prefers a smaller college, Lauren is thinking of a big school.  That's the great thing about colleges.  They come in all different sizes. Kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears story.  Some are too small, some are too big and one will be just right! One of the tours Lauren is going on includes the parents.  The other one is all day (with no parents) and you "shadow" a current student.  You get to eat in the dining hall, sit in on a class, etc.  I can only remember going on one college tour to York College of Pennsylvania. Even though I never went on a college tour to Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky, I ended up going there, but I only lasted one semester.  I was way too homesick and came back home!!  I ended up going to the local community college and then to the night school at the University of Maryland.   I'm excited for Lauren as she embarks on this new stage in her life. I'm confident that she will know which college will be the best "fit" for her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...