Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Page of Love

A few months ago, I was asked to contribute a page to a book.  The author is writing a book about moms from all over the world and all walks of life. He wanted me to write a page to my children sharing my deepest and truest thoughts about being a mom.  How is it possible to only write one page?  I could write much, much more than that :) The words flowed easily, but it was hard to condense all that I wanted to say into a short amount of space!  Below is the page of "love" that I submitted.  How about you?  If you were asked to submit a page about your children, what would it say?



To my stepson:

From the very first time that you and I met over 22 years ago, I knew that I wanted to be your stepmom. One of the happiest days of my life was when I married your dad and I “officially” became your stepmother. I have watched you graduate from high school, college and graduate school. You have worked hard at your career and I am super proud of you.  I hear of stepchildren and stepmothers not getting along.  I’m so glad that you and I don’t fit into that category!!  Our closeness and love for each other is greatly treasured by me and I don’t ever take it for granted. I feel blessed that you came as part of the “package” when I married your dad.  I’m honored to be called your stepmom.  I have and always will support you.  All my love, Cathy

To my daughter:

My dear, sweet (and only) daughter.  I can remember when you first went to preschool over 12 years ago.  It was one of the hardest things for me because I knew it was just the beginning of you starting on that road to independence. When you were in second or third grade and you told me you weren’t going to call me “mommy” anymore, I knew you were taking another step towards independence.  I was so happy and proud when you read your speech at your eighth grade graduation, knowing that high school was just around the corner. When you got behind the wheel of the car for the first time, I knew it was another step on that “road” to independence.  Now, as your senior year of high school looms in the very near future, I know that our relationship will continue to change and I am okay with that.  You have matured into a beautiful young woman inside and out and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you.  All my love, Mom

To my son:

When I found out that I was pregnant at age 40 with you, I knew even before the doctor told me that you were a boy.  Finding out that you had Autism at age 2 ½ was unexpected.  You have had more challenges than other kids, but you continue to amaze us with how much you learn every day. I know in my heart of hearts that you were given to us for a reason. You teach me and everyone else that knows you, what unconditional love really is.  My hope for your future is that you will graduate from high school and college and one day have a family of your own.  For now, I am grateful that you are still small enough to fit onto my lap and give me hugs and kisses.  Love, Mommy 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...