Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Can Your Child "Recover" from Autism???

 
Get ready, I am hopping on my soapbox, BIG TIME!!! When I found out Dominic had Autism, I took just about every single book out of the library that had to do with Autism and related disorders. One of the very first books I read was a book by Jenny McCarthy (the actress).  She also has a son with Autism and I was curious about how she came to terms with accepting the diagnosis.  I used to like her until she started the charge against vaccinations and  how harmful and full of toxins they were. She claims there is a "link" between Autism and vaccinations, even though studies show that is not the case.  When she was with Jim Carrey (the actor) she seemed to be everywhere.  Now that she's not  riding around on his coattails anymore, do you really even hear too much out of her???  Whenever she would be on television she always seemed to be carting around an enormous amount of attitude.  Jenny McCarthy claims your child can "recover" from Autism.  What I think she does is give a lot of parents false hope.  There are lots and lots of parents out there that are looking for that one "cure" that will make their children not have Autism. There are plenty of supposed "experts" only too willing to take your money and not give you anything in return!!   I fall into the other camp of parents that put all of their energy into research.  Our family has participated in numerous research projects.  The only thing they cost is your time!!  Out of all the websites out there, I have found the best one to be the Interactive Autism Network, (ianresearch.org). It is a great starting point to find on-going research projects as well as other useful and helpful information.  I highly recommend the website, especially if you have just received the diagnosis of Autism for your child.  I have lost friendships and been laughed at because I don't subscribe to the whole biomedical and anti-vaccine approach to Autism.  All I can do is speak for myself and my family. I'm not by any means an "expert" on Autism, I'm just a mom whose son has it!!  You have to do what you feel is in the best interest of your child.  Our family will continue to participate in research projects, because that is what I feel will help our family and other families out there.  Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...