Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Grocery Shopping

My husband likes to go grocery shopping and so do I.   We both go to our favorite grocery stores every week and we both like to use a list and coupons.  I like Kroger and he likes Meijer.   He likes to go into the grocery store and only go to the aisles where he needs to go.  I like to go up and down every aisle, just to make sure I didn't miss anything that I forgot to put on my list.  I don't spend hours and hours clipping and sorting coupons like the people on the TLC show "Extreme Couponing", but I do like to see how much I can save at the store.  I probably spend about 1-2 hours a week clipping, sorting and filing my coupons.  I have a store loyalty card for Kroger and I get special discounts for using it. On my shopping trip to Kroger this week, I saved $45.46 using digital coupons, paper coupons and my store loyalty card.  I bought a six pound  "Perdue Oven Ready Seasoned Roaster" that was originally $11.99, marked down to $7.99 and I had a $1.00 off coupon to boot.  I would never in a million years pay almost $12.00 for a chicken, but I'll pay $6.99!! My husband finds good deals on toilet paper, paper towels and other toiletries (like toothpaste and shampoo) at places like Rite-Aid, Walgreens and CVS.   The hubby is so excited when he comes home from shopping and tells me he got things for free! When we get too much of something in our small "stockpile" I like to donate the items to charity. I have found that the "house" brand of a lot of the things I buy on a regular basis taste identical to the "name" brand items, not always, but usually.  It's pretty rare that I'll buy something without a coupon.  What kind of a shopper are you? do you buy something because it's on sale and/or have a coupon? do you not buy things on sale? or do you not use coupons at all?  When Lauren asks my husband to buy a certain item at the store, the first thing out of his mouth is, "is it on sale??"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...