Skip to main content

Too Much Tanning?

Just when I thought I'd heard and seen it all, I heard about a mom accused and then arrested for supposedly taking her young daughter into a tanning bed!!  This chick has been in the news more than a few times in the last couple of weeks. She has the nickname, the "Tanning Mom."  I heard a newscaster comment that they thought the woman had been burned in a fire.  If you haven't heard of her, Google "tanning mom" and you'll find her :)  I was thinking that the woman has a lot more problems than just tanning.  The Today Show interviewed her recently to get her side of the story.  The mom herself visited the tanning salon 20 times over the course of a month.  I would qualify that as excessive.  She keeps saying she didn't take her daughter into the salon and/or the tanning bed and the salon denies the charge too.  She claims her daughter got burned by being outside.  That's a possibility,  I guess.  I was thinking if the salon and/or the mom admitted the little girl was in a tanning bed, then the mom would go to jail for child endangerment and the salon would probably lose their license.  I wonder if this mom is thinking ahead to 10-15 years from now when she most likely will have some form of skin cancer.  I wish I could roll back the clock and have made better decisions when I used to tan during those hot Maryland summers.  I would actually use baby oil with absolutely no SPF anything because I wanted that deep, dark tan!!  I definitely use the sunblock now for myself and the rest of my family.  I hope the "tanning mom" realizes she might need some help and do what's best for her and her family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...