Friday, May 4, 2012

Riding in an Ambulance


When you see an ambulance with its lights flashing whizzing past you, do you ever wonder what emergency they are going to/from or who's inside?  Well, I have been in an ambulance, not once, not twice, but three times!  The first time was back in 1997, when I thought I was having a heart attack.  The paramedics came and took me out of our house on a stretcher.  On the way to the hospital, I remember asking them if they thought I was having a heart attack, they said, "we don't think so Mrs. B!"  After some tests, it was concluded that I hadn't had a heart attack, but instead had a gallbladder attack.  I had surgery shortly after that and was matron of honor at my sister's wedding about 10 days later.  The pain was worse than giving birth (which in Lauren's case was 32 hours of back labor)!! The second time I had to call an ambulance, it was because Dominic hit his head at school and I brought him home to let him rest.  As soon as I got him in the house he proceeded to pass out and I couldn't wake him up. I called 911 and the paramedics came within 5 minutes.  I rode with Dominic to the hospital, where he got all kinds of tests run.  Thank goodness he was okay.  The third ambulance ride was when Dominic started behaving erratically one Saturday morning (staggering around and then collapsing on the floor).  I thought he was having a seizure.  Again, I called 911, they came immediately and again we rode to the hospital.  They ended up keeping him overnight for observation.  He was fine and got released the next day. It's been determined that Dominic gets migraines (just like me).  Ambulance drivers and paramedics have a hard job to do every day.  I can't say enough good things about them.  I know I couldn't do what they do!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...