Thursday, June 28, 2012

Knowing Your "Limits"

One of my favorite things to do is to mow our yard.  I like getting the exercise and getting that feeling of  accomplishment when it's all done.  Where I live, the weather has been unseasonably hot.  I decided to mow the lawn yesterday, since today's temperature is supposed to be about 95.  I guess part of me is still a little (okay, a lot)  in denial that I have a couple of heart conditions.  Since I am now on four medications to control it, I kind of feel like I'm invincible and can do pretty much whatever I used to do before I was diagnosed. WRONG!! Yesterday, after I mowed the lawn,  I spent most of the rest of the day feeling like a 100-year old lady lying down on the couch recovering with the added bonus of the beginnings of a migraine!!  What I am slowing realizing, is that I have to remember that I do have these heart conditions and thank goodness they are being controlled properly for the time being with my medications.  I also have to take responsibility for my health and be aware of my "limits."  My body lets me know when I've gone beyond those limits, I start having shortness of breath. I have this habit of having my hands in too many "pots." As moms, we try to be everything to everybody.  I think it's good to remember that if you don't take care of yourself you can't take care of anybody else.  It's easy for me to say, but sometimes hard for me to remember.  I'm really trying though!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...