Sunday, July 14, 2013

Mom "Caves"

I read an article recently about women that had mom "caves."  We have all heard of men having their "cave" but I had never heard of women having one.  It was a pretty interesting article, one mom had hers in the laundry room. She painted the walls pink and put in other extras - it wasn't expensive - the whole makeover cost about $250.  Another mom had hers in a small corner of her kitchen that was painted yellow and looked out into her backyard. It got me to thinking, where is my mom "cave" in our house?  When we first moved into our house, it was a room downstairs in our basement.  That lasted a while, but, the room was so far removed from the upstairs where the rest of my family hung out that if anybody needed me or I was here by myself, I couldn't really hear anything down there.  I don't think I could put my mom cave in my laundry room.  I technically don't have a laundry room, where my washer and dryer are located is more like a hallway leading from the garage to the rest of our house.  We have a small kitchen so having a "corner" to myself isn't an option. I guess you could say my "cave" is tucked in a corner of our living room.  A handful of years ago, I went to a yard sale and found a really nice wood desk.  I talked the guy down to $15.00, which I thought was a super deal.  After I brought it home, I had to figure out a place to put it.  I never in a million years thought I would have a desk in a corner of my living room, but it works. Currently, the desk has a laptop, phone and lamp sitting on it and is about 10 feet from the front door. It is also close by to the steps going up to the upstairs, so I can keep an ear out for what's going on there.  It's near the laundry area, so I can go back and forth from there while I'm doing laundry.  It's very close to the kitchen, so it's an ideal place for me :) I think it's good for moms to have a special space/place of their own.  Where is your mom "cave?" do you have a separate room (like a craft room)? or do you have a special chair perhaps in a sunny corner of your family room?  If you like to garden, maybe it's a chair by all your flowers and plants, where you can just decompress after a long day.  No matter how big or small, fancy or plain - as long as it's a special place for you, that's all that matters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...