Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Preparing for the Next "50"



I turned 50 the first week in July. A half-century or five decades.  Lauren told me recently that the hubby and I don't look or act our respective ages (he turned 60 last November). That was a pretty nice compliment coming from our teenage daughter :) When I was her age, I definitely thought that 50 and 60 were ANCIENT!!!  I truly don't mind getting older.  I feel blessed for every day that I have. Getting up to see where the day will take me is pretty cool.  Life is what you make of it and it's about choices.  I have come to a few conclusions that I hope will prepare me for the next "50."  I really need to stop sweating about the small "stuff" so much. Life is too short to get bogged down by petty things, like when my friend of many years said something that I considered offensive.  If it is still bugging me the next time I talk to him, I'll let him know how I thought it was rude.  In the great scheme of life, it's not a humongous deal like I made it out to be. I'm also a maker of lists.  What I have discovered is that a lot of the time my lists are not realistic and then I get bummed out if I don't get everything done.  It seems like I try to do too much in a short amount of time and then I end up being late somewhere (like picking Lauren up at an appointed time) and that stresses me out!  I am going to work hard at allowing more time than I think I will need and maybe that way I won't be late!!  I also have to schedule time in my day to just "chill."  It's ultra important to find time to clear my mind of everything, even if it's just for a few moments.  I'm still a work in progress with that.  This school year will be a busy one, it will be Lauren's senior year of high school and Dominic's last year of elementary school. In December, the hubby and I will be celebrating 18 years of marriage. My stepson will be turning 30 this coming January. These first 50 years have been overall pretty awesome.  I can't wait to see what the next "50" have in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...