Monday, April 1, 2013

A "Staycation"

Last year, our family went away for an entire week for spring break.  This year, we decided to stay home. During the school week, I sometimes feel like our family is going in different directions and we really don't interact except at the dinner table.  After dinner, Lauren usually heads up to her room to do homework, my hubby does a few more hours of work, Dominic is doing his homework or playing with his toys and I'm cleaning up from dinner or doing some other chores.  This winter seemed very long and very cold. This past weekend, it was warm enough to actually sit outside and not need a winter coat and gloves.  On Saturday, Lauren made this cake in preparation for Easter -



On Sunday, Lauren and I hid some plastic eggs outside and let Dominic find them.  We dug out the basketballs and soccer balls and hung outside for a good portion of the afternoon.  It was so warm, I almost fell asleep in one of the chairs outside!  For me, it's just nice to get a "break" from getting up early, having to make lunches, get the kids to school and the hubby out the door to work.  Dominic has been rediscovering toys in the basement that he hasn't played with in a while.  Lauren asked me to take her to the library because she has no books to read for pleasure. I caught my hubby reading a book outside.  He has so little free time, it was nice to see him decompress a little.  My stepson wasn't able to be with us this Easter, but we did get to talk to him on the phone.  This week, I'm planning on testing out some new recipes and read a book or two. Going somewhere for spring break week is always nice, but it's also great to have a "staycation" and reconnect with the family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...