Saturday, April 14, 2012

Can't We All Just Get Along???

I get so tired sometimes of the stay-at-home mom versus working mom debate.  The so called, "Mommy Wars." When I heard about Hilary Rosen  (a political pundit) making the comment about Ann Romney, "never working a day in her life" because she stayed home with her five sons, it kind of got me riled up.   I worked right up until about two days before Lauren was born in 1996.   Since then, I have been a stay-at-home mom.  I have had moms tell me they would rather work than be home with their kids and I know moms that would love to be home with their children, but can't for various reasons.  I've met working moms that didn't like me for the sole reason I stay home with my kids. They didn't even give me a chance to be their friend!! I admire working moms, especially single moms.  I have a close friend who is a working, single mom and I think she walks on water.  She is an incredible, amazing and loving mother to her daughters.  I went through what was one of the worst and toughest times of my entire life about a year and half ago.  She gave me tons of support and was there for me whenever I needed her.  I will be forever grateful to her.  She has been a working mom roughly about the same amount of time that I have been a stay-at-home mom.  We get along like two peas in a pod.  When I hear a comment like what Hilary Rosen said, it makes me scratch my head and wonder, can't we all just get along? Shouldn't we be helping and supporting each other in this thing called motherhood? Aren't we all just moms trying to do the best  "job" we can raising our children? 

2 comments:

  1. We can get along, but some people would rather be "right," whatever that means. I have done both, worked with family and stayed home with my kids. They each have their merits and demerits. I am and always will be greatful that I was able to stay home when my children were babies. Plenty of time to work when everyone was in school. What you need will come your way if you believe in yourself. Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...