Skip to main content

Just My Opinion

This week on the Today show, the author of the scarymommy.com blog and a columnist from the Huffington Post were on talking about the scarymommy.com blog.  Her blog has an enormous following.  Thousands and thousands! She just published a book. The definition of scary according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is "causing fright."  Putting scary and mommy side-by-side doesn't exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings about her blog.  It's quite the opposite.  I am hopping up on my soapbox now and tell you why I am not a fan of her blog. First of all, motherhood is hard and it's tough.  There are days where, yes, you do feel like pulling your hair out!  If you are having a particularly challenging "mom" moment, that is when you take a few deep breaths and step away from your kids to gain perspective.  Second, do these moms that post nasty and unflattering things on the website not think ahead to the future and realize their kids, husband or significant other may read what they wrote someday???  Once you write something and post it on the Internet, it is there FOREVER! Lastly, if your kids are plucking your last nerve, that is when you call a trusted friend and vent!  I guess the ladies that post their innermost thoughts find comfort in writing on scarymommy's website.  More power to those moms.  I certainly don't proclaim to be a "perfect" wife, mother and stepmother.  That is way too hard and stressful.  I just get up every day and try to do my best. I'm getting off my soapbox now, thanks for listening.

Comments

  1. I agree. A friend posted this info about the ladies blog as we are hoping to start having kids soon. Everyone seems to love it, but I would hate to harbor those feelings about my kids and post it online, even if it is sarcastic. I know parenting won't be a walk in the park, but I would like to focus on how rewarding and beautiful it can be. The "venting" done on s.m. seems to be very trite. I shall get off my soapbox now :). The scary mommy just isn't my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post a comment. You sound like you will be a great mother!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really really sad. As a mother you will do things you are not proud of, but it seems that the book and website promote and even applaud abusive and/or neglectful parenting. Bragging about punching your toddler, getting drunk while your supposed to be caring for your children, cheating on your husband, how much you hate your kids and spouse is ridiculous. I, honestly wish CPS could track down half the women on the website and save their children from the hell that awaits them if their mother is, in fact, that horrid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. I still continue to not be a fan of her website. Her children are young and I think it would be interesting to see what her kids think of her when they are teenagers!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...