Tuesday, April 10, 2012

That's Cathy with a "C"

Whenever I have to give my name, either over the phone or when I meet someone for the first time,  I always have to say, that's Catherine or Cathy with a "C."  The name Catherine was pretty darn popular the year I was born (1963).  In one of my classes in high school, I was one of  five or six Cathy's.  Katy, Katie, and Kate are all more popular versions of Katherine or Catherine now.  People just automatically want to put a "K" not a "C" when they spell my name.  When my daughter, Lauren, was born, I briefly toyed with the idea of spelling her name a little different (Lauryn),  but then thought she would be forever telling people the right way to spell her name. When Dominic was born, I didn't realize there was more than one way to spell his name. There is Dominick and Dominik.  My stepson goes by his middle name, not his first name.  Back in my early 20's,  I went through a phase where I really liked the name "Tiffany Crystal" for a girl. I still do like that name.  It's pretty interesting when a celebrity has a baby.  Gwyneth Paltrow naming her daughter, Apple, for example. That's not a first name I would have picked.  The musician Frank Zappa named his oldest daughter, "Moon Unit."  Wow, what a moniker to have!  He named his other three kids some pretty unusual names too.  I guess I really shouldn't complain too much about having to remind people that my name is Cathy with a "C!!"  What are some of the most unusual names you've ever heard of?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...