Friday, April 20, 2012

Oreos and Ice Cream

A few months ago, I gave up two of my favorite things, Oreos and ice cream.   I routinely ate six or more Oreos a day, plus 3-4 times a week also eat a big bowl of ice cream after dinner.  Back in November when the doctors discovered my cardiomyopathy and irregular heartbeat, they put me on a low-salt, low-cholesterol diet. At my 3-month checkup, my cardiologist told me my cardiomyopathy wasn't any worse, but it wasn't any better either. He did mention that he still didn't like my cholesterol "numbers."  He said when I see him again in May if the "numbers" aren't what he would like them to be, he will be adding another medication to the three I am already taking!!  When I heard that, I decided I really needed to do something different.  I have made a real conscious effort to watch my salt and cholesterol intake and to try and walk 20 minutes a day. During Spring Break, we went to a resort that had all-you-can-eat buffet type meals.  To give Dominic some familiarity in an unfamiliar place, we sat in the same general area at each meal.  I'm not kidding when I say we were literally five feet from the dessert table all week.  I didn't eat any of it the entire vacation!! I think my heart is breathing a sigh of relief that I have decided to make better food choices. I allow myself an occasional treat (earlier this week I went to Arby's), but I do it in moderation.  I don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself.  As an added benefit from eating healthier, I have lost 13 pounds so far.  My goal is to lose another 37 by the time I turn 50 in July 2013!!  I want to have lost 50 pounds by the time I'm 50!! An added  incentive is that I want to be able to fit nicely into the dress below so my hubby can take me out for a "night on the town" on my birthday next year!!  Believe it or not, before I got pregnant with Dominic, I could fit into this dress!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Presume Competence

Since we have traveled outside of the United States since Dominic was very small, we have had to get him a Children's Passport every fiv...