Skip to main content

Body "Maintenance"

As I was sitting and waiting a few weeks ago to get some routine blood work done, it was really hard to not overhear a conversation going on about ten feet from where I was sitting.  One of the scheduling clerks was talking to a lady who was probably at least my age about her mammogram.  They talked for quite a while about insurance issues.  When it came time for the scheduling clerk to ask the lady when her previous mammogram was, she said something along the lines of, "I've never had one, I've been too afraid to ever get one." Unfortunately, that's not the first time I have ever heard someone say that.  I have an exam that a lot of people feel embarrassed to get or even talk about, scheduled for the middle of January. It starts with a "c" and ends with a "y."  How many of you ladies out there get routine physicals and see your dentist at least once a year? Do you put it off? Our bodies are like a car that needs to be "maintained."  If you don't take good care of yourself, things will begin to not work as well. I used to have tons of headaches before I got diagnosed a few months ago with glaucoma.  Since I got put on eye drops, I rarely have a headache.  We are all busy taking care of spouses, significant others, and our kids, that sometimes taking care of our routine body "maintenance" takes a "backseat."  For 2014, how about taking a few extra minutes to make sure you have your routine appointments scheduled? You want to make sure that you keep your body running like a well-oiled "machine!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...