Skip to main content

Following the "Path" to Independence

There was a time (in the not so distant past), when we would have to do pretty much everything for Dominic, like telling him when to eat, drink, get him dressed, etc.  I can remember when he learned how to button his shirt and zip up his own jacket - I was overwhelmed with emotion. Right before the holiday break, Dominic's class went to a movie theater and also bought snacks with their own money.  I was so excited when I heard his class was doing that, because he had never been to see a movie in a theater, much less purchase his own snacks.  Earlier this week, I was making myself a ham omelette and asked Dominic if he wanted a piece of ham.  He came over, took one look and said, "good bye, ham!" I love that he was able to tell me how he felt, plus with the added bonus of being a junior comedian :)  Thursday night, I was upstairs and I heard Dominic say "milk" downstairs.  I then heard my husband say, "do you want some milk??"  Dominic said "yes."  I heard my husband getting him a cup and the jug of milk out of the fridge for him.  My husband then said, "be careful that's really full, do you know how to pour your own milk??"  Since I had taught Dominic to get his own milk and pour it himself a while back, I knew he could do it. Guess the hubby knows now too!  Friday morning, before I took a quick shower, I told Dominic that when I got done, he was going to have to get dressed and get out of his pajamas.  When I was done with my shower and came into the bedroom, he was sitting on my bed with his shirt and pants on.  At first I said, "did you fish those out of the dirty clothes?"  Upon closer inspection, the clothes he was wearing appeared to be clean.  I then said, "where did you find those clothes?"  He was very adamant and said, "Dominic's room!!!"  I went down to his room and he pointed to where I had a pile of clean clothes that hadn't been put in his dresser yet.  Since I had never told him directly to go get some clean clothes and be dressed before I was done with my shower, I was really proud of him for taking the initiative on his own  :)  Just this morning, when he woke up early, he was able to get himself something to eat until we got up a little later.  Granted, it was a few peanut butter cookies with sprinkles, but that's okay. It's not the end of the world if he has cookies for breakfast once in a while! I know that Dominic will still need help in the future following the "path" to independence, but he can be rest assured that someone will always be there for him and what a great thing that will be.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...