Skip to main content

Pajamas and Dress Pants

For the past couple of weeks, I have been on the "hunt" for a pair of pajamas with feet for Dominic.  Since he went through a growth spurt, he has only one pair that fit him from last winter.  He has been wearing them so much he already has a rip near the shoulder and a hole in one of the feet. He really needed one more pair of pajamas since the weather here lately has been like living at the North Pole! I don't foresee a "thaw" for at least several more weeks :)  I figured I could just go back to the store and buy him another pair in his size. Well, guess what?  They didn't have any in the store or online in his size.  I then tried two other stores (I went in person and tried online) and the only pajamas with feet they carried only went up to size 6.  Dominic needs at least an 8.  I gave up looking for pajamas with feet for him and ended up buying a two-piece pajama set on the clearance rack of all places!  Even finding that was a challenge since I wanted the top to be long sleeved.  The stores are already putting out pajamas with short sleeves!! Good grief.  I thought Dominic might give me a hard time about wearing the new pajamas since he's become pretty attached to his one and only pair with the feet, but he willingly wore them to bed last night. Maybe even he was getting tired of wearing the "old" pajamas seven days a week!!  Anyways, yesterday afternoon, Lauren and I were on a different kind of clothing "hunt."  She was invited to participate in an event at school that requires her to wear dress pants. I think the last time she had to wear dress pants was back in elementary school (I'm not kidding). When I was out last Friday looking for the pajamas for Dominic, I did a preliminary search for the pants and found a ton in the petite section that I thought were great.  Well, Lauren didn't think so. She thought they looked too "old ladyish."  I said, "like me???" She said, "no, older than you!"  Hmm, well luckily this store had many to choose from, so we headed over to the junior section.  We found a bunch for her to try on, but she is in an in-between size, so it was kind of a bust. We then headed over to another store and had the same problem there finding any that fit her - they were either too small or too big! Lauren is like Goldilocks - looking for just the right size!  I'm starting to get a little stressed about finding Lauren some dress pants, but we still have eight more days until the event at school - wish us luck (we'll need it) !!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...

It's a "Group" Effort

Since going to the local barbershop is still not allowed where we live, it fell upon us to figure out the best way to shave Dominic's beard and mustache. Typically, Dominic goes to our local barbershop to get his haircut and his barber (Vince) also takes about 30 seconds to shave the beard and mustache. This August, it will be five years that Dominic has been going to Vince. That in itself is a huge milestone as anyone with a child/adult with sensory sensitivities knows. Anyways, earlier in the week my hubby, Lauren and I had all noticed that Dominic's facial hair definitely needed some assistance. I mentioned to Lauren that I needed to find a "social story" about getting a shave. Before I had a chance to find one, she took it upon herself to find one and print it out, it had both an electric shaver and shaving cream/razor stories! That meant so much to me, because she didn't have to do that, she wanted to!    I showed the social story to Dominic and sai...