Skip to main content

Julia Child - A Remarkable Chef

Who remembers Julia Child?  I used to watch her on PBS (Public Television) and be amazed by some of the food she could make.  She would accidentally drop food on the floor and say something like, "I'll just pick it up later!!"  That would just crack me up :)  She was a trained chef, but had a wonderful sense of humor!  This month she would have turned 100 (she passed away in 2004).  I have loved to bake and cook from a young age and I think that's why I used to like watching her cooking shows when I was little.  She showed you didn't have to be a perfectionist and serious in the kitchen, but could still be a fantastic cook.  I read recently in the paper that her longtime publisher of her cookbooks, Alfred A. Knopf, is putting all kinds of social media information on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Tumblr.  The social media keyword is JC100, it stands for Julia Child's 100th :) I wonder what she would think of all the cooking shows on the Food Network (my favorite station).  She seemed like the kind of chef that you could kick back with and have a cup of coffee and a croissant.  Who has influenced or inspired you to want to cook? I know Julia Child was a big influence for me! Bon Appetit!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Book Every Autism Mom Should Read

When Dominic was diagnosed with Autism at 2 1/2, I went to our local library and took out every book I could find about Autism. Sometimes I would bring back 20 books. This was 2006, so a lot of the information was very "dated." I guess I was looking for a book that would tell me what I should do next, like a "manual." Autism doesn't quite work that way! The saying is, " if you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism." Every mom to an individual with Autism follows their own "path." I think as moms, we judge ourselves much harder than anyone else does. I was 41 when I had Dominic. Did he get the diagnosis of Autism because I was an older mom? because I drank a lot of pop? I could sit and think about that every minute of every day. I am pretty integrated into the Autism community around Lansing and have told more than one person that it took me about two weeks to come to terms with Dominic's diagnosis. It is so incredib...

Need to Call Bella's Mom

Dominic at least a few times a week will tell me, "need to call Bella's mom!" Who is Bella you may ask? Here is the answer to that question: I first met Bella shortly after Dominic's first grand mal seizure. She and her mom approached me at the Meijer grocery store back in June of last year as I was grabbing a milk jug out of the dairy case. Dominic and Bella go to the same middle school.  I have never forgotten what Bella's mom told me that day, "I would love to get our children together and be in Dominic's life however much you will let us." Bella's mom has the most generous heart and has passed on those values to her three children.  Bella and Dominic made sugar cookies last summer: When Dominic had a choir concert at school and neither Lauren or my husband could attend, Bella and her mom surprised us after the concert! The number one thing I admire about Bella is how incredibly compassionate she is. There is a respect a...

Mainstreaming and Inclusion

The hubby and I were discussing the other day how special education students were treated back when he and I were in school.  He remarked to me that in his time, they were "hidden away" from the rest of the students.  When I was in elementary school, I can remember seeing the kids in those classrooms pass by us in the hallway.  I don't ever recall seeing them in the lunchroom or playground.  I'm so glad that times have changed.  Even though Dominic is in a "self-contained" special education classroom, he does get to go to the art, gym and music classrooms.  He also gets to eat lunch in the school cafeteria.  He loves hot lunch on Thursday - pizza!! Given Dominic's abilities, he is able to be "mainstreamed" into the general education classroom for small amounts of time.  Every moment he is able to do that gives me so much hope for his future.  I absolutely love what Dominic's current teacher is doing.  He has started a peer-to-peer progra...